Why are Paper and Spigot separate projects?

Sorry if this has been answered before, but all I found when searching for it were feature comparisons. So, lately I’ve seen a lot of people mention that it’s a good idea to switch from Spigot to Paper – for better performance and other improvements. So far so good, I switched from Craftbukkit to Spigot for the same reason back in the day. But that’s kinda also what irritates me right now. If Spigot is about better performance and other improvements while maintaining plugin compatibility, and Paper is about better performance and other improvements while maintaining plugin compatibility, and Paper is based on Spigot, then why are they separate projects, why are they not simply working together? It’d be cool if some of you could shed some light on this, because I feel a little hesitant of blindly switching over without understanding this particular point.

In short, md5 wants to maintain full control of spigot. His dev team is him alone and it is not easy to get PRs in spigot. So Paper arose (as did waterfall for bungee) due to this.

No need to blindly switch over, take a look at the documentation, or just try it on a test server so it won’t be a “blind” switch.

1 Like

This things should be tested on full load. How test that on local servers?

I see, that’s kinda sad to hear, but I guess there’s not much to be done about that. I guess for now I’ll just give Paper a shot and hope that one day we’ll see a change of mind and the projects can join forces.

And no worries, with “blindly switching over” I was still referring to the uncertainty about the relationship of the two projects, not so much about the technical/operational aspects ^^