Failed to bind Port Error

I receive this error when starting the server

**** FAILED TO BIND TO PORT!
[21:42:10 WARN]: The exception was: java.net.BindException: Cannot assign requested address: bind
[21:42:10 WARN]: Perhaps a server is already running on that port?

I have looked at other forums and tried using other methods like checking my port forwarding to make sure that it is 25565. Didn’t change anything. All firewalls are off even in my router. Restarted computer multiple time and there is no other servers running on the network.

I am a noob so please help

Thx

Another program on your system is using that port, apparently; (either that or you’re using some firewall software which isn’t too impressed), depending on your OS, you’ll need to use a tool such as lsof -i on *nix based OSes (MacOS/Linux), or on windows, I believe that there was a command called netstat, but I don’t really deal with windows so can’t point you too much there

Yes I have tried that between restarts. I used the netstat command and there was nothing showing up.

Apparently in my sleep I misread this, that means that the IP address you’ve got in server.properties is invalid, generally, you wanna leave blank when self hosting unless you specifically want to bind on a specific address

Yes I am hosting this for my friends and I so how could I make my IP valid? I have just looked up on google “whats my Ip” and used that. That had worked for my previous minecraft server but for some reason not this one.

Because you’re self hosting and are behind NAT, meaning that your IP address is assigned by your router (likely some 192.168.x.x IP); Just leave server-ip in server.properties blank

I have tried this and the server works. But I want to make my friends able to join the server/

OMG it worked I am so sorry for the confusion. Thank you @electronicboy so much!

1 Like

I would suggest you to try to enter into the new network by using VPN. Or you can try proven guide on 192.168.2.1 for this also.

Try this, click OK to dismiss the error message above. Next, click the Device Manger button on the System Settings tab. (Alternately you can open the Device Manger by going into Windows Control Panel and clicking on System, then clicking on Device Manager in the left side panel.)

hey,
i experienced the similar error, thanks for posting answers they were helpful for me.
best regards!!

It really is very easy, you just have to assign a fixed ipv4. For example 192.168.1.36 depending on the router, and place that value in the server properties. for example server.properties.