Server Error: FAILED TO BIND TO PORT

Hi! I’ve never hosted a server before but I recently purchased a server from ExtraVM and a day after I did it’s already had some problems. The server is unable to start after suddenly crashing, and upon trying to reboot it tells me this:

[Server] WARN **** FAILED TO BIND TO PORT!
[Server] WARN The exception was: io.netty.channel.unix.Errors$NativeIoException: bind(…) failed: Address already in use
[Server] WARN Perhaps a server is already running on that port?

All other articles I can find are written by people hosting off their own PC and I would appreciate any help.

Did you buy so called “shared hosting”? So MC specific plan, which lets you upload files and gives you a pretty control panel?

If so, they usually are done in such a way, that I don’t see how this could happen. It’s best to contact ExtraVM support, they should be able to assist you.

This error is pretty common when you are responsible for hosting yourself and server restarts (the most common is described here: https://gist.github.com/Prof-Bloodstone/6367eb4016eaf9d1646a88772cdbbac5 ), but when you buy a ready plan, it’s all isolated in a way where it shouldn’t happen.

Yeah, I did use shared hosting. That’s pretty strange. I already contacted support but it’s annoying to hear there’s probably not an easy fix.