How to switch to paper

So I’ve been coding for a while now in the spigot, and a lot of people told me to switch to PaperMC.
Now, my question is how do I do that?
What do I need to do to develop plugins on paper?
Do I just add the library like in spigot because it doesn’t seem to work?

So when you downloaded spigot you hopefully used buildtools to build it. What you are likely trying to import now is paper’s equivalent of buildtools called paperclip. It is just meant to work in such a way where regular server owners wouldn’t even need to know that it exists. But for people wanting to use the api it can be a bit confusing. If you would like to import it in the same way you have in the past, you need to run paperclip (what you download from papermc.io) and then get cache/patched_1.16.5.jar and import that. That file is the actual server.

However, keep in mind that this is not the recommended way to use the api. Ideally, with both paper and spigot or anything else you would be using maven or gradle to manage dependencies. You can see a guide on the basics of maven and repo/artifact information for paper specifically. I would recommend maven to get started as there are many more beginner resources and it is currently more used in the minecraft development community. Using either maven or gradle is much preferred over doing everything manually. If you use intellij, you can check out the minecraft development plugin. This will automatically set up maven/gradle for you as well as basic plugin boilerplate things. If you have any questions about this/need help, come by the discord at https://discord.gg/papermc.